Our prediction for this Europa League match:
All eyes will be on Old Trafford when Manchester United and Real Sociedad square off against each other in the Europa League Group E. The Red Devils made a slow start to the season, but they have been producing fine display in the Premier League ever since Harry Maguire dropped to the bench. Summer signing Antony is expected to shine in the red shirt, and we predict that the pacey Brazil winger will pose a big threat to the opposition back-line. Aforementioned defender Maguire could start this time out, with Cristiano Ronaldo and new recruit Casemiro pushing for a start as well. The likes of Wan-Bissaka, Pellistri, and Martial should miss out with injuries.
La Real, on the other hand, head into Thursday’s clash following a 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid. The Basques are tough to beat at home, but they will have a mountain to climb in the Old Trafford showdown. New signing Umar Sadiq is pushing for his first Real Sociedad start, while all Oyarzabal, Rico, Merquelanz, and Fernandez remain in the recovery room.
This match will be played on 08/09/2022 at 21:00
Manchester United vs Real Sociedad Head-to-head:
- Manchester United also have tradition on their side going into this tie.
- They have won and drawn two games apiece in the previous four meetings with Real Sociedad.
- The Basques did not score a single goal in these four matches against Manchester United.
- Erik Ten Hag is expected to wield the changes as Manchester United begin their Europa League campaign.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Casemiro, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Victor Lindelof, Fred and Anthony Elanga should all start this one.
- Donny van de Beek and Aaron Wan-Bissaka both missed the Arsenal game on Sunday through injury. Both have decent chances to start here if they recover in time.
- Zidane Iqbal impressed on pre-season and could get minutes during the Europa League campaign.
- Lisandro Martinez and Marcus Rashford came off on Sunday with muscle injuries and are unlikely to be risked here.
- Martin Dubravka could debut here. Phil Jones and Brandon Williams have been left out of United’s Europa League squad.
- Umar Sadiq scored on his Real Sociedad debut from the bench against Atletico Madrid at the weekend and will hope to make his first start here.
- Benat Turrientes made the bench at the weekend after recovering from injury. Diego Rico remains a doubt.
- Former Manchester City ace David Silva returns to Old Trafford.
OUR VISITORS PREDICTION:
Manchester United have won four in a row after beating Arsenal 3-1 on Sunday. This, however, will be a completely different side with Erik Ten Hag expected to ring the changes.
Real Sociedad drew 1-1 with Atletico Madrid at the weekend. Their only defeat so far this season was a heavy 4-1 loss at home to Barcelona.
These sides met in the Europa League knock-out stage last season with United running out 4-0 winners on aggregate. Expect a closer game here with so many changes expected from the home side.