Our prediction for this Champions League match:
Manchester City will look to retain top position in Group G when they take on Borussia Dortmund in a highly-anticipated Champions League game. Man City faced no difficulties in a 4-0 crushing of Sevilla, and they are seen as hot favourites to beat the Yellow-Blacks as well. Keep in mind, though, that Pep Guardiola can’t count on defensive trio Laporte – Walker – Stones for Wednesday’s clash.
The Bundesliga side, on the other hand, outplayed Copenhagen 3-0 in their Champions League opener, but they will have a mountain to climb at Etihad Stadium. Since Borussia experienced all sorts of problems at the back in a 3-0 loss to Leipzig, home win should be considered. All Thorgan Hazard, Mahmoud Dahoud, and Mateu Morey miss out with injuries, while summer signing Sebastian Haller is out of contention through illness. Both Karim Adeyemi and Donyell Malen are major doubts.
This match will be played on 14/09/2022 at 21:00
- Sergio Gomez made his full debut for Manchester City against Sevilla and could start again here.
- Summer signing Manuel Akanji looks set to retain his place at the back.
- City have no new injuries concerns after the last round of Premier League fixtures were postponed.
- Erling Haaland scored 86 goals in 89 games for Borussia Dortmund.
- Thorgan Hazard went off injured in the first half against Copenhagen and didn’t feature against Leipzig.
- Karim Adeyemi, Donyell Malen and Mahmoud Dahoud are other injury concerns for Borussia Dortmund. Gregor Kobel may also miss out again.
- Jamie Bynoe-Gittens left Manchester City to join Dortmund two years ago but injury could rule out a return to Manchester.
- Mats Hummels was an unused substitute in their defeat to Leipzig at the weekend and could return here.
Manchester City vs Borussia Dortmund Head-to-head:
- The latest encounter ended in a 1-2 win for Manchester City.
- They are on a two-fixture winning streak.
- They scored two or more goals in these two clashes.
- The latest match-up at this ground ended in a 2-1 win for the hosts.
Manchester City vs Borussia Dortmund Prediction:
The Citizens were unbeaten in 18 of their previous 20 overall fixtures, and in the process they went on separate four-game as well as three-match winning streaks.
They are on a nine-fixture winning streak in front of their home crowd, and scored 38 goals in the process.
On the other hand, Dortmund lost two of their past five overall games, and they lost their latest away game as well.
In addition, they fared quite poorly in past h2h meetings as well. Taking into account these observations, expect a high-scoring win for Manchester City this weekend.