Our prediction for this Premier League match:
Villa Park will host Friday’s Premier League game between Aston Villa and Southampton, who face each other in the round 8. The Villans have yet to find their best form in the new EPL campaign, but their display in a 1-1 draw with star-studded Man City is giving fans a reason for optimism. Diego Carlos remains in the recovery room, but Steven Gerrard has no other selection worries ahead of the visit of Southampton.
The Saints, on the other hand, aim to bounce back from a 1-0 loss to Wolverhampton. Since both sides will go for a win in Friday’s showdown, we believe that there is a big value in betting on both teams to score. As for the visiting side, both Livramento and Lavia are sidelined with injuries, while summer signing Ainsley Maitland-Niles is pushing for his full Southampton debut.
This match will be played on 16/09/2022 at 21:00
- Matty Cash was forced off in the first half of Aston Villa’s 1-1 draw with Manchester City and won’t return until after the international break.
- Ashley Young replaced Cash in the stalemate and should start at right-back here.
- Emi Martinez and Ollie Watkins have suffered from illness this week but Steven Gerrard remains hopeful both will be available.
- Gerrard could be short in goal if Martinez fails to recover as No.2 Robin Olsen is an injury doubt.
- Romeo Lavia and Tino Livramento miss out, though the former will return next month.
- Deadline day signing Duje Caleta-Car is still lacking match fitness so could have to watch from the sidelines.
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Moussa Djenepo may both come into the XI here.
Aston Villa vs Southampton Head-to-head:
- The latest encounter ended in a 4-0 win for Villa.
- However, Southampton recorded three of the past five overall wins.
- The previous four meetings at this ground had three or more goals.
- Four of the former five clashes at this ground had goals from both teams.
Aston Villa vs Southampton Prediction:
- With the pressure on Steven Gerrard, Aston Villa put in a solid performance to hold Manchester City to a 1-1 draw earlier this month. A contentious offside call robbed them of all the spoils, but they’ll take confidence from ending a three-game losing streak.
- Southampton have been inconsistent this season, winning three, losing two and drawing one of six matches this season. Prior to a 4-0 mauling here back in March, Saints had won three on the bounce at Villa Park.
- In the process they even went on a five-game losing streak. onsidering these observations, as well as past h2h clashes, expect a high-scoring affair this weekend between the two teams.